For years, scientists have tried to find a cure for cancer, a disease that leaves millions of deaths behind every year. Research has led to the discovery of properties of certain foods whose consumption can be very beneficial against the disease, this is the case of extra virgin olive oil.
After multiple studies it has been concluded that olive oil can be really favorable against cancer, even being able to kill the malignant cells of specific tumors in the body, this without damaging healthy cells.
How does it do this?
It is a substance found inside the oil called Oleocantal. This organic compound is responsible for giving it that slight spicy taste and also for destroying the body’s cancer cells.
By placing malignant cells with this compound in a laboratory, it was observed that the Oleocantal directly attacked the lysosomes, which are vesicles that store the residues of each cell in the form of enzymes, and from there, in less than an hour, the cancer cells disappeared.
The enzymes attacked and killed the malignant cells, without damaging the healthy cells around them. In fact, it was concluded that normal cells simply stopped their cycle until 24 hours later, where they returned to normal.
A great ally against malignant tumors
These results have proved to be favorable for different tumors, especially breast cancer, which is one of the most common in the world. However, research continues to ensure that it works best, as an effective antitumor. Do you know why it is effective?
● The extra virgin olive oil is rich in vitamin E, which in addition to preventing cellular wear prevents the development of a variety of malignant tumors that may have genetic origin.
● To enhance its preventive capacity is ideal to consume about 15 to 25 milliliters of this oil a day.
● 5% of calories from extra virgin olive oil contribute to cancer prevention by 28% according to various medical studies.
Knowing this, it is no surprise that the Mediterranean diet is excellent for preventing and treating different types of cancer. But this delicious food form has much more to offer and extra virgin olive oil is an essential ingredient in a wide variety of dishes.
Make the most of Mediterranean nutrition
As we have said, olive oil is part of the Mediterranean diet that has not only proved to be healthy and effective against cancer. It also provides relief and prevention to a variety of ailments thanks to its multiple properties.
● The Mediterranean diet is rich in natural antioxidants and fibre.
● Provides a healthy and appropriate balance between omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
● The fat present in extra virgin olive oil and in the Mediterranean diet in general is a good health enhancer.
The truth is that adequate nutrition is vital to prevent and combat cancer. Olive oil provides countless benefits by attacking malignant tumours and joining the long list of effective foods that have proved to be allies against this very delicate condition.